For over a decade, we have been giving annual prizes of $1,000 dollars each, named after our first President, Julia Ward Howe, to qualified books in both the adult and the young reader’s categories. The criteria for the awards and other related issues include:
1) The honored books must be published the year prior to the award. (In this case, they should be published in 2016.)
2) Authors must live within 100 miles of Boston the year their books are published.
3) Works of fiction, nonfiction, memoir, poetry and biography are eligible. Picture books, textbooks and self-published works are not.
4) Recipients of the awards shall be chosen by majority vote by the Book Award Committee.
5) A few Finalists and Highly Recommended Books will also be selected with no monetary prizes attached.
6) The award ceremony of the 20th Julia Ward Howe Award will be held at the Commonwealth Room of the Boston Public Library on September 13, 2017 between 4:30pm and 7:30pm.
To enter the competition, publishers should submit two copies of the books of your choice published in 2015, along with a check of $25 dollars per title written to: Boston Authors Club, Inc. The deadline for submission is January 15, 2017. Please send your books and your checks to: Boston Authors Club, Inc. C/o Prof. Mary Cronin, 2400 Beacon Street, Unit 208, Chestnut Hill, MA. 02467.
Past winners of the Julia Ward Howe Award have included: James Carroll, Linda Davis, Anita Diamant, Dexter Filkins, Lewis Hyde, Charles Mann, Thomas O’Connor, Edith Pearlman, Brenda Wineapple, Gordon S. Wood, and Sylvia Sellers-Gacia.